Looking for some photographic inspiration? Look no further then the current members of the APC. Each month a different APC member will be featured and we will provide a glimpse into their photographic life.
This month, our featured photographer is APC member, Kellye Waterman.
Married, mother of two, funeral professional, lover of all things weird and wacky, crafty and artsy.
I joined the Ajax Photography Club several months after receiving my Sony a700 as a gift. After spending some time with my new joy and knowing I wasn’t learning the full potential of what it could do, I decided that joining a club was the best thing I could do to help me grow my skills.
I’ve been documenting my children during random moments, trying to catch those moments joy, curiosity, love, and quietness. They often get quite annoyed with me always shooting them but I know that one day it will have been worth it. Years from now, I’d like to bring all of my photos my children together into a book to share with them.
- How would you describe your photography style
? I’mnot sure that I’m established enough to have a style as of yet. I try to capture objects that I consider interesting and beautiful. I’m still learning how to catch that light just right, to convey a feeling in an image, tell a story, and trying to figure out exactly how all these settings on my camera work!
- Which photographer is your biggest inspiration? My father. If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to begin my journey with photography. Photography became his solace after the diagnosis of my Mum’s cancer; watching him lose himself in this art, how he could bring objects to life that would otherwise be ignored, capturing the quick millisecond moments at a roller derby game, and breathtaking photos of my family made me realize that this was yet another art form that I too, could fall into.
- How long have you been interested in photography? I’ve always liked taking photos and looking at photos but I didn’t really see myself as having enough talent to be the photographer. My artistic inclination was mainly towards the fine arts and music; using photography as an art form has opened up a whole new world for me. I was in the photography club in highschool for a short time, and while it was fun and informative (and expensive!), it didn’t have the same appeal for me as it does now.
- What was your first camera? On a long-long ago Halloween in my hometown of Brantford, I discovered a brand new blue Vivitar Point n’ Shoot camera nestled amongst my well earned candy. I remember thinking how weird and wonderful this was. I’ve had numerous cameras since then but didn’t get my first professional camera until years later.
- What is your dream photo trip? I would love to capture the Fjords of Norway and Gros Morne park in Newfoundland, and the mountains and rolling countryside of Switzerland.
You can view more of Kellye’s work on our APC Meetup site